1. Economic Ideas and Practices: An Introduction – Ancient Society; Medieval Society.
2. Nature and Importance of Economic Laws – Political Economy Defined; Natural Laws and Economic Laws; Origin of Political Economy: A Historical Review; Subject Matter and Method of Study.
3. Economic Thought: Basic Concepts – Labour; Productive Forces and Production Relations; Social Formation; Social Classes; Commodity; Labour Power; Market; Value and Price; Capital; Social Revolution; Exploitation; State; Competition; Monopoly; Imperialism; Neo-Colonialism; Law; Development; Bourgeoisie; Proletariat.
4. Dialectical and Historical Materialism – Dialectical Materialism; Historical Materialism; Primitive Communism; Slave Society; Feudal Society; Capitalist Society; Asiatic Mode of Production.
5. Theories of Value and Distribution – Adam Smith (1723-1790); David Ricardo (1772-1823); Karl Marx (1818-1883); Importance of the Law of Value; Ricardo and Marx on Value: A Comparison; Neo-classical Theory of Value; Theories of Distribution; Marginal Productivity Theory; Malthusian Theory of Population.
6. Accumulation and Economic Crisis – Simple Reproduction; Expanded Reproduction; Consequences of Accumulation; Economic Crisis; Course of the Crisis; Immiserisation of Proletariat; Post-War Reproduction Cycle; Course of the Post-War Cycle.
7. Price Determination under Capitalism – Values and Prices of Production; Role of Supply and Demand; Price of Labour Power and Wages; Price Formation under Monopoly Capitalism; Annual Depreciation of Currencies (Percent); Conclusion.
8. Size of the Capitalist Market – Factors Determining the Size of the Market; Meaning of Capitalist Market; Output and Size of the Market; Globalization and Size of the Market; Evolution of the Capitalist Market.
9. Imperialism and Neo-colonialism – Monopoly Capitalism; Forms of Monopoly; Export of Capital; Division of the World; Moribund Capitalism; Uneven Development; Militarization of the Economy; Neocolonialism; Economic Aid; Military Aid; Globalization; Place of Imperialism in History.
10. Capitalism and Underdevelopment – Vicious Circle of Poverty; Colonial Exploitation; National Liberation Movements; Planned Economic Development; Green Revolution; Concentration of Private Wealth; Unemployment; Social Origin of Poverty; Causes of Poverty.
11. Classes and Class Struggle – Class Division of the Society; Emergence of Private Property; Feudal System; Capitalist Mode of Production; Value and Distribution; State in Class Society; Class Struggle; International Labour Movement.
12. Economic Role of the State – Marxist Theory of State; State Intervention; Planning and Controls; State as Entrepreneur; State in Developing Countries; State in Socialist Society.
13. Classical Theory of Development – Division of Labour; Free Enterprise; Competition; Value and Surplus; Theory of Distribution; Over-production/Under-consumption; Stationary State; Relevance of Classical Theory.
14. Marxian Theory of Development – Method of Analysis; Preconditions of Capitalist Development; Process of Capitalist Development; Expanded Reproduction; Stationary State; Cyclical Development; An Evaluation of Marxian Theory; Marx on Underdevelopment and Colonialism.
15. Neo-classical Theory of Development – Neoclassical School of Economics; Modern Theories of Growth.
16. Gender Inequality in Historical Perspective – Historical Perspective; Birth of Christianity; Gender Inequality in the West; Gender Inequality in India; Dowry System; Economic Development.
17. Socialism: A Post-capitalist Society – Theory of Scientific Socialism; Programme for Socialist Transition; Soviet Socialism; Chinese Socialism; Land Reforms; Agrarian Cooperation; Setback to Big Leap; Post-Mao China; Foreign Policy.